Wednesday, July 24, 2013

2 Stroke Prosthetic Bunny - the action figure - part 2

Phase 2: clay build-up (continuation of my July motor bunny post)
...added some non-hardening sculpting clay to the aluminum tube and foil wire skeleton from earlier. on closer inspection, the clay does not allow for an extremely smooth finish, but good enough for a first-pass rubber mold for wax casting (i'll go into details when that phase comes along)...

also, since i took this picture, i've shortened the neck to better match the proportions of the illustration.

as you can see, the engine and wheel attachment is still in the wire-frame stage - already began sculpting it...although this takes time, as its about 86 degrees here and the clay gets pretty soft (unless i keep placing it into the fridge after every 5 minutes of handling time).

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

2 Stroke Prosthetic Bunny - the action figure - part 1

Phase 1: model sheet and armature (continuation of my June motor bunny post)
A quick series of sketches for scaling consistency served as a suitable blueprint for the wire-frame armature. the arm (got only 1), head and legs are detachable (all movable parts will be sculpted, molded and cast separately to facilitate proper articulation) - i'm basing the movements of the character along the lines of the classic Kenner Star Wars figurines from the 70s and 80s.

i built each "joint" using 2 sizes of aluminum tubing where one slides into the other - this allows me to detach the limbs and work on them separately, thus minimizing contact to the already finished parts of the sculpture. i filled the thicker parts of the character with aluminum foil to reduce the amount of clay in the final sculpt - not only does this save money, but also reduce the weight of the sculpt and allow for faster drying and curing without cracking (especially when baked)...

...working on sculpting the torso now...

Monday, July 1, 2013

Midnight Liquor Run

i originally sketched this one following my 4 and a bit hour drive from Atlanta to Savannah earlier this month...
...i finally got around to finishing it!